Parenting Central Australia
Home » In The News » Child dies after swallowing battery

Child dies after swallowing battery

Child dies after swallowing battery

A four year old Tewantin girl, died after swallowing a button sized lithium battery on Sunday night. She was rushed to hospital than air lifted to Brisbane, but could not be saved.

Within one to two hours of becoming lodged in a position, Lithium Batteries, start to burn through surrounding tissue.  This is a terrifying and tragic event. Many parents would be unaware of how dangerous such a small battery could be, but according to Kidsafe Queensland, an estimated 4 children a week are rushed to hospital after swallowing batteries.

It’s important to be aware of what household items may contain these lithium batteries, and to ensure they are in battery compartments that are securely screwed in place, or kept well out of reach and treated like a poison, and to make sure that batteries are always discarded safely.

lithium batteriesHere is a small list were batteries can be found: –

  • Musical birthday and Christmas cards
  • Talking/Musical books
  • Electronic or musical toys
  • Kitchen or Bathroom scales
  • Remote controls
  • Keyless entry remotes
  • Garage door openers
  • Calculators
  • Digital thermometers
  • Hearing aids
  • Tooth Brushes
  • Portable electric razors
  • Torches/flash lights
  • Flash/Light pens
  • Watches
  • Key Chains with lights
  • Small electronic devices.

Symptoms which may occur if swallowed –

  • Chest Pain
  • Coughing
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Fever

If you have any reason to believe that your child has swallowed a lithium battery please take them immediately to a hospital emergency department or call 000. Do not delay. If you believe your child has swallowed something, or come into contact with any poison or harmful material and you’re unsure of what to do, call the Poisons Hotline on 131126  or Health Direct on 1800 022 222, and get medical advice immediately.

About Rachel Stewart

Rachel is the founder of Parenting Central Australia. She is raising two children, boy and girl, with her partner.She has a background in early childhood education, but right now is content to be a stay at home mum.She is passionate about birthing rights, breastfeeding and mental health. She enjoys crafting, drinking coffee (sometimes wine) and spending a little too much time on Facebook.

Check out these posts instead!

When Mothers Regret Motherhood

The Project recently aired a segment about mothers regretting becoming mums. Which has naturally a divisive topic. But I think it’s an important topic to allow people to talk about.