1. Make a basic vanilla/butter cake batter.
2.Divide into 5 or 6 equal portions and add food colouring. (If you have yellow, red and blue, you can make purple by mixing blue and red, orange is yellow and red, and green with blue and yellow) Mix each portion until colour is even.
3. Prepare a tray with cupcake cases, and using a teaspoon scoop small blobs of each colour into each case.
4. Any colour order is fine, but for a “rainbow” effect – This order is best : purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red.
5. Repeat until all cases are filled.
6. Bake at 180 deg for approximately for 15 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of your cupcakes. Keep an eye on them as cupcakes overcook and dry out quickly!